I'm making a public commitment. I've been saying I was going to do something for awhile now, but have yet to do it. So I figure if I let everyone know what I'm trying to do I'll stick with it a little bit better.
I graduated with my AS in Baking and Pastry Arts almost 2 years. May 19, 2007 to be exact. Since then I haven't been able to do much with it. When I first went out looking for jobs I either had too much experience, or not enough. After a few months of job searching I finally found a job working at a bakery, but it wasn't anything that allowed me to expand on my skills and learn more. I pretty much just baked cookies and muffins all day.
When we moved to Idaho there was nothing. I already had experience working in a hotel and didn't want to go back. So hotels were out of the question. It's a hard schedule especially being married. I decided I'd try the local grocery stores, but once again I knew too much. I found one place, but I would only be paid minimum wage and I knew that wouldn't pay the bills. So i decided to look into other options and ended up finding the job I'm at now.
For over a year now I've been telling myself I'm going to get back into my books and bake more often. I usually bake our bread for the week, but I've even started slacking on that recently. I'm getting to the point where I'm not putting myself into baking. I'm just going through the motions. For the first time, a few weeks ago, I told Todd I hated baking. Just wanted to quit. It was the whole cookie problem. Flat once again. So he came in and talked with me. I can't remember what he said, but it made me go to my books instead of just mopping around and being frustrated. Reading everything started bringing stuff back.
So I've decided to make a commitment to myself that I'm going to start baking something new every week. I asked Todd if he didn't mind and he gladly gave me the go ahead. My plan is to post whatever I make, whether it turns out or not, and talk about it. So be looking for a post. If I don't post anything by Sunday May 10, let me know. I want feedback, and of course encouragement :).
2 comments:
sounds GREAT! Especially if you will share some recipes!!!
I am looking forward to your blog and pictures I will surely remind you if you dont post something.
Post a Comment