Monday, September 8, 2008

Salt Lake City Trip

This weekend Todd and I went down to Salt Lake. Not on the best of terms, but it ended up being a really nice weekend. On Monday the 1st, my dad's sister, my Aunt Laurie, passed away after battling MS for 38 years. Dad flew up on Thursday and we decided to meet him down there and spend the weekend with him.

Aunt Laurie

Thursday we got down to Salt Lake a little before my dad, so we went and hung out with my Aunt Cheryl (my dad's older sister) and Uncle Paul for a little bit. It was nice to be able to see them and visit with them for a little. After dad got to the hotel we went and met up with him and went to Chili's for dinner. After dinner he took us around to the house that I lived at till I was 2. It was so good to see my dad. I don't think you ever realize how much you miss someone until you see them again. He brought me a sweet new Dallas shirt. I love it!

Friday morning was Aunt Laurie's funeral. We were able to visit with family. Many I hadn't seen for awhile some I think still remembered me how was when we left and I was only 2. But it was nice to just be with family and remember Aunt Laurie. After the service we walked over to were my Grandma and Grandpa Tuckett are buried. We got together as the Tuckett family and took some pictures. Afterwards, the 3 of us when out to lunch with my Aunt Cheryl and her family. There we got to talk some more and have some pretty good laughs.

The flowers my parents got for her

Grandma and Grandpa Tuckett


The Tucketts


Our cousin Steve, Dad, Aunt Cheryl, Cousin Thelia


Me and Dad


Later that night Dad was our tour guide and took us around town. He took us to gravity hill, showed me the hospital I was born in, and showed us my mom's old stomping grounds.

My mom's old high school

The house my mom grew up in


An apartment my dad use to live in

Next we went on a tour of the Conference Center and walked around Temple Square. The Conference Center was amazing. Just learning about the architecture and the structure was so neat. We had a little old lady that gave our tour and in the beginning she kind of warned us it would be long, but little did we know. She liked to talk! I think we had a couple other tours pass us. It was fun though. Temple Square was beautiful. We also went inside the Tabernacle and the Visitor's Center.

Inside of the Conference Center




View from the top

Visitor's Center on Temple Square

After all our touring, Dad took us to Diamond Lil's for some prime rib. It was so good. It was Todd's first time to have prime rib and he loved it. After dinner Dad showed us a little more around town and then we headed back to the hotel.

Saturday morning Todd and I got up and headed down to Pleasant Grove to visit with his grandma, and then we went down to Provo and had lunch with my friend Jennifer, and his brother Troy. That evening my dad took us down by the University of Utah campus to a restaurant called The Pie. My dad use to work there when he was younger and it was called Bimbo's I believe. I might be corrected on that. Anyway, it has some of the best pizza. Then we went to Trolly Station and got some Salt Water Taffy and walked around a little. We saw a postcard, in one of the shops, of the Saltair by the Great Salt Lake. So we drove over there, but it had already closed for the night. So we headed back to the hotel.

Sunday we drove out to This is the Place Hearitage Park. It's a monument where Brigham Young had said "This is the Place" after coming through the canyon. It was so neat. They've made a huge monument with a bunch of statues represent Brigham Young, Fur Traders, Indians, and such. Then they have a little village you could go through that has some of the original buildings that the pioneers built. So we walked around that a little and then took a train ride around it. But before the train ride we were all thristy so my dad went to get us some water. So we have 3 waters right, it came to over $6!!! My dad called it gold water. Seriously, I think it was the most expensive water I have ever drank. While we're getting the waters the driver of the train comes walking out. He was hilarious. I think we laughed most of the ride cause of him. Half of what he was saying you couldn't understand. But he was just 1o months older than my dad, but looked at least 10 years older! He would just make the funniest comments, but you could tell he loved what he did.

Here are some pictures of the monument. The thing was huge so Todd took pictures of each section.
This was at the entrance to the park. If I remember correctly it's statue of Joseph Smith talking about his reveltion of the saints going west.

Front

Top. That's Brigham Young and two other guys.

Back

The Pioneers

Spanish Explorers

Indians



Original monument on the assumed spot where Brigham was when he made the statement. Although we learned that historians believed it was in a different location closer to coming out of the canyon.

The 3 of us after the train ride. Notice the sweet shirt my dad got me!

Us with our driver

After spending time at the park Dad took us to Sandy to visit where my Grandma and Grandpa Swilor are buried. The last time Todd and I were there we couldn't find, but Dad was able to find it this time. We also got to see where my Aunt Wanda (my mom's sister) was buried in the same cemetary.



Then we headed back to my Aunt Cheryl and Uncle Paul's for a little barbeque with their family. We got to sit around and talk and hear them talk about the past. They talked about how hamburgers use to be $.12, and we heard some childhood stories from my dad and Aunt Cheryl. It was just a really good time.

Aunt Cheryl and Uncle Paul

Dad with Aunt Cheryl and Uncle Paul

I'm so glad we went down there this weekend. I had one of the best times. I think my favorite was just being able to see my dad and listen to him remember things from when he use to live there. Thanks Dad for taking us around every where. We honestly had a great time. And thanks for giving up your king bed so we could stay with ya!

No comments: